Mama's New StoveMama’s New Stove

By Bonnie Fordham Hollingsworth

    Pictured Left:  Mamas wood stove was not quite as fancy as this one, but did have the warming  oven and reservoir. This stove sold for $23.75 in 1903.

Anticipation and excitement hung heavy in the Fordham household! Daddy was  bringing home the new stove he had finally bought for Mama! This was to make all  of our lives easier. No more chopping wood for the stove all year round, and  Mama would not have to tolerate the extreme heat in the kitchen during the hot  summer days. This was our first step up to having a more modern kitchen. Our  new stove was fueled by kerosene.

I thought it was the prettiest thing I had ever seen, with all that green enamel  trim on it. It had a fuel tank that Daddy would take off the end of the stove  and take outside to refill. Lines ran from the tank to the burners, both for the  pots, and under the oven. The burners had heavy wicks in them, to soak up the  kerosene, and of course it had to be lit every time with a match. When you were  through cooking and turned the fuel off, the flame would just get smaller and  smaller until all the kerosene was burned out of the wick. I believe the wicks  were made from an interwoven mixture of cotton and asbestos fibers-- the cotton  to absorb and hold the kerosene, and the asbestos to keep it from burning right  up.

This little green monster was VERY temperamental. If the wicks were not kept  properly and precisely trimmed, it smoked terribly. At it's best, it smoked the  pots up with every use. At it's worst, it smoked the pots, kitchen walls, and  our mother! You couldn't just turn it off and the source would be gone. It  continued to burn and smoke until all the fuel was burned out of the wick.

Mama's New StoveI do not believe that either of my parents knew how to properly trim those  stubborn wicks, and Daddy had no patience with things he did not understand. The  only time I remember that stove working ALMOST smoke-free for a few days was  when Uncle Bart came in and cleaned the burners and trimmed the wicks for Mama.  My poor mother got VERY discouraged with this new kitchen appliance.

      Pictured Right: I guess a model like this was for the
      folks who could only afford basics.  This stove sold for $4.95 in 1903.

In spite of her best efforts, the biscuits didn’t seem to brown evenly, and the  food on the burners had a habit of sticking and scorching. My mother was known  as one of the areas very best cooks, and this was REALLY putting a damper on  her pride.

After a few weeks of this, my oldest brother said he thought the food TASTED  like kerosene. That was when my mother said it had to go! Fortunately, she had  the foresight to have the old wood stove stored in the barn. Daddy tried in vain  to assure her that she would get used to it. It was not to be. For the next  couple of days, mama would build her a fire in the yard to cook with, and even  went into the barn and put a fire back in her old stove to make a pan of  biscuits. After she almost burned the barn down, Daddy decided the prudent thing  to do would be to return her precious wood stove back to its rightful place in  the kitchen.

Then came the long, tedious days of cleaning EVERYTHING in the house. All the  curtains had to be washed, along with all the linens. All of our clothes had to  be washed. On the first sunny day we had, the MATTRESSES and PILLOWS had to go  out to be sunned and freshened. Mama SWORE the whole house smelled of kerosene!  My sister and I had to wipe down all the wooden furniture with a vinegar and  water mixture. It was about two months before it was all done, and Mama was once  again a happy cook and homemaker.

When I left home to get married many years later, my mother had a double-oven  Flair range sitting in the kitchen, and the old wood stove out on the back  porch. The old stove was properly piped and installed on the corner of the  porch, and quite often, Mama would still go out and cook a meal on it. You know,  there’s a lot to be said for a fresh, hot biscuit, straight out of the oven of  an old wood stove!

I still think it was pretty, though; all that shiny green porcelain sitting in  that otherwise drab little kitchen!

 nchgsnchgsnchgsncgsnchgsnchgsnchtgsnchgsncnchgsnchgs

[Home] [Archives] [NCHGS Info] [Newton County] [NCHGS Research] [Articles and Notes] [Culture & Traditions] [Families] [Military Records & Links] [Native Americans] [Newspapers] [Organizations] [Photos] [Remembering Citizens & Friends] [Research Links] [Guests]

Copyright © 2015 NCHGS
Designed & Maintained by George R Searcy